Caves (Roguelike) - Forum

User info

Welcome, Guest! Please login or register.

You are here » Caves (Roguelike) - Forum » Development » Balancing suggestions

Balancing suggestions

Posts 1 to 7 of 7

Name says all. Through gameplay, what feels too weak or what needs a huge nerf?

To kick us off:

Goliath armor is a fun concept, but the armor boost is almost negligible. I noticed armor kicks in usually after 50% of how is wittled away. even after that, it is only a difference of 1 at that point. Even if you get a +4 from the boost at some point, there are enemies that can still destroy you in one hit when you achieve this point.

Prototype 10 armor is currently my go-to. I can't see much of an effect from their supposed claw buff, and a health return of 1 will never be meaningful. Even if you farm off loose rocks, you will still take more damage than you gain from the skeletons spawned.

Scroll of dash is really strong. Might need a nerf, probably on duration down by 10? I've got to say, though, that it is fun to use.

In shop, you can use gems to strengthen the speed ability. Maybe add something that increases the chance for purple tiles, or decreases usage cost for teleporting.

Lastly, teleport potions are really pointless right now, as there is an ability for it. Consider doing something to make them more special than the ability. I recommend a damage boost on attack with it, or extra range.

TL;DR

-Goliath armor buff is weak and too late.

-Prototype 10 armor has weak claw buff.

-Scroll of Dash is really strong.

-Teleport potions are identical to the ability.

-Add teleport buffs in shop, like there are speed buffs.

Last edited by Shahh (2017-04-04 14:13:10)

+1

Teleport potions are really useful especially the random teleport potions. When you get swarmed by strong mobs you can send them to "outer space" by using the potions on the mob and kill the remaining guys.

@Shahh: what are "purple tiles" ?

Last edited by Inth (2017-04-05 13:08:05)

I think random teleport potions are really useful as well. Gets you out of tons of situations. However, the generic teleport potion does the same exact thing as the teleportation ability, so I don't have as much reason to use it.
@Inth purple tiles pop up occasionally when using the teleport ability. Basically, if you choose to teleport on to a tile that is purple(very few are), your turn continues and enemies don't react until your next move.

I think the teleport potions are necessary, because the player might not be using a suit with the teleport ability. They also help to save your energy in tight spots even if you are.

+1

I see the teleport SKILL as the useless part. There are 2 potions, a scroll, and weapons which teleport. Why waste your 1 super power on the same skill? Personally I go for the speed boost or shadow copy and use potions if I really want to teleport.

mystery wrote:

I see the teleport SKILL as the useless part. There are 2 potions, a scroll, and weapons which teleport. Why waste your 1 super power on the same skill? Personally I go for the speed boost or shadow copy and use potions if I really want to teleport.

Absolutely not. Teleport skill is very powerful for melee characters. And some armors such as "Warp" can use this skill much more efficiently (multiple attacks at one time, almost invincible)

The small teleport potion is very situational because of its tiny radius. Using it on enemies almost never makes sense since it's a gamble whether it will place them away from you or in front of you. And no matter the outcome you were better off simply moving.
The only real use I found for them so far is getting over and around traps / pools of acid, and even then there's often better solutions. Personally I would replace it with a stun potion.

Large teleport potions however are awesome. I wish they would drop better gear but at the risk of spawning very dangerous specific enemies. Also its essentially a get out of jail free card. Might need some balancing.

You are here » Caves (Roguelike) - Forum » Development » Balancing suggestions